stlawrencevalleycemetery

Home . About . History . Services . Contact

 
Board & Staff
Memorial Programs
Links
Photo
Gallery

History

St. Lawrence Valley (Union) Cemetery is an all-denominational, not-for-profit, charitable cemetery that was established in 1957 as a direct result of the St. Lawrence Power Project of the Ontario Hydro Electric Commission with
involvement from the governments of Canada and the United States.
The purpose of the project was to construct, maintain and operate power development works in the International Rapids section of the St. Lawrence River, which necessitated the flooding of the land where eighteen cemeteries were located.

These eighteen burying grounds were located on the St. Lawrence River Project front of the St. Lawrence River within the Townships of Matilda, Williamsburg, Osnabruck and Cornwall. Fifteen of those cemeteries were relocated to the new cemetery, which was provided by the Ontario Hydro Commission on Lots 6 and 7, Concession 1, Township of Osnabruck, County of Stormont. It was a giant undertaking by the Power Commission.

The data on those cemeteries was compiled by James A. Smart, O.B.E. in a manual dated April, 1956. Detailed information is available in the Cemetery office. Reference must be made to those former cemeteries. Most were of historical interest. Some of them dated to the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries and were established by the United Empire Loyalists and discharged veterans of the 1st Battalion of the King's Royal Regiment of New York, who fought in the American War of Independence.

Within the boundaries of those cemeteries lie the remains, some unmarked, of those people who, for the sake of honour, loyalty and duty, sacrificed their all and in some cases suffered great hardships, indignities and persecution at the hands of the American Revolutionaries. In later years, many of their sons again took up arms in the defence of their new homes during the War of 1812-1814 and in the Rebellion of 1837-1838. During those years and subsequently, some of those people and their descendants won distinction in government, judicial, religious and the cultural life of Canada.

Therefore, those cemeteries, which were disturbed by the development are a continuing link with past history of the district and, insofar as was possible, the headstones were carefully preserved on a permanent site as a gesture of respect to the memory of those and their descendants whose remains lie within them. Many headstones dating back from the late 1700's to the mid 1800's, were in poor condition, cracked or broken. They were placed in a Memorial wall at the Crysler Memorial Park, Upper Canada Village, midway between Ingleside and Morrisburg. The cemeteries are commemorated by name, the various divisions are crossed by walkways all around them, and in the center of each section are beautiful flower beds each year.

Prior to closing the former cemeteries, extensive notice was given to that effect by the Ontario Hydro Commission. By family request, remains were moved and
re-interred in the new cemetery, headstones were moved and placed on new foundations and families were allocated graves according to the number held previously or in accordance with the available data.

St. Lawrence Valley Cemetery today is a beautiful and active cemetery, honouring those former cemeteries by preserving their history and continues to provide services to their descendant families and to the general public of all denominations and localities.

Wood Monument at St. Lawrence Valley Cemetery"Wood" Monument
The Wood Monument is of great historical interest. It is situated at the south side of the cemetery, overlooking Lake St. Lawrence and visible from all areas. It was originally located in St. David's Anglican Church Cemetery, Wales, a small hamlet just south of the present site. The memorial is unique in design. It is made from metal manufactured at an iron foundry owned by Col. John R. Wood whose memory it commemorates. The foundry was located on the Wood Farm, a short distance west of the Village of Lunenburg, about two and a half miles north of the cemetery. The Wood Monument is surrounded in the cemetery by a number of monuments bearing the Wood name, all descendants of Jonas Wood, U.E.L. Tribute is paid to the memory of Col. John R. Wood in the Historical Atlas of Ontario-Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry-1879.
The descendants of Jonas Wood, (grandfather of John R. Wood) and his wife Sarah Osborne are many. The eight children of Jonas and Sarah all married and had large families and for the last two hundred years these have multiplied and spread out over Eastern Ontario and many other parts of Canada and the United States.
St. Lawrence Valley Cemetery
Civic No. 15570 County Road 2, R.R. #3, Ingleside, Ontario K0C 1M0
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 776, Long Sault, Ontario K0C 1P0
Phone:613-534-2915 Fax:613-534-8477
Email: lawrencevalley@bellnet.ca